Building Permits & Inspections

If you are constructing a new building, making structural changes to an existing one, installing a wood stove or changing the use or occupancy of a residential or commercial space, you’ll need to obtain a Building Permit from the City of Kimberley.

New construction, additions or exterior alterations to commercial, industrial, and multi-family residential buildings also require a separate Development Permit.

Scroll to #do-you-need-a-building-permit

Do you need a Building Permit?

For your safety and the safety of the community, certain kinds of construction and renovation projects require a permit. The main purpose of a building permit is to ensure that all buildings comply with health, safety and zoning requirements as established by the Province and the Municipality. Complete information is available in the City of Kimberley’s Building Permit Application Guide. You’ll need a building permit to carry out any of the following:

  • Construction of any new building or structure over 10 square metres (108 square feet)
  • Structural repair, alterations or additions to an existing building (including decks)
  • Altering or adding to plumbing systems
  • Installing or altering retaining walls over 1.5 metres (5 feet) in height above grade
  • Moving, adding or removing interior structural walls
  • Enclosing a deck, carport or porch
  • Installing a woodstove or other wood burning appliance
  • Siting a mobile or modular home or structure
  • Placing a temporary building on any property (such as a construction office)
  • Demolition of any building requires a Demolition Permit
  • Changing the Occupancy or use of any structure or space
  • Moving a building to a different foundation or property
  • Installing a swimming pool
  • Finishing a basement

Many minor renovations such as painting the exterior of a building, installing new cabinets, or changing plumbing fixtures without moving them do not require permits. If you’re not sure if you need a permit, please contact the Building Inspector at 250-427-9655 or

New or alterations to electrical and gas systems will require a permit from the Technical Safety BC.  Check their website for more details

Scroll to #application-process

Application process

Building Permit applications may be obtained at City Hall during regular office hours or by clicking the links below.

To help make sure that the application process goes smoothly, read the application forms and guidelines carefully, and contact the Building Inspector if you have any questions. The Building Official can help you navigate the application process and ensure that you’re aware of relevant construction restrictions, zoning matters, Building Code questions and product inquiries.

The Building Official may be contacted at 250-427-9655 or Your inquiry is important and we will respond as soon as possible.

Forms & guides

Submitting your application

Before submitting your application, please review it carefully and make sure that you’ve taken the following steps:

  • Provide all pertinent contact information, such as owner name, mailing address, contractor name and mailing address
  • Provide two (2) sets of construction blue-prints/sketches showing dimensions of the building, details of the foundations, floor plans showing use, elevations and structural section construction details (electronic copies are preferred). 
  • Provide a detailed plot plan indicating the location of the proposed work on the property in relation to the distances from all property lines.
  • Provide proof of property ownership or a letter of authorization from the owner

For all new dwellings, please also provide a BC Housing Certified New Home Registration form. For more details, visit

Complete applications will generally be assessed within ten working days. Once the City is ready to issue the permit, we will contact the applicant. The permit fee will be due at that time.

Building Permits are valid for a two-year period from date of issuance (renewals are permitted for a one-year term).

Building restrictions and applicable fees are set out under City of Kimberley Building Bylaw No. 2620, 2018.  Setback information can be found within the City of Kimberley Zoning Bylaw No. 1850  (and amendments) and the Alpine Resort Zoning Bylaw No. 2016, 1999 (and amendments) and are specific to the subject property’s zone.